Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Barbara and Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

RadioDaDa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 74 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 18, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me apologize before hand . It seems when you write a post that may have been discussed here in the past it angers some. With that being said, a few people here in other forums said Barbara had bad mouthed Freddie in the press. I have searched and haven’t seen anything. Can someone please tell me where, when and what was said?

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 249 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 18, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 12 Feb 18, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 12 Feb 18, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She was the first to sell her Story to the press after Freddie died. And she lead him on a bad path in MUnich too. never liked her

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 18, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a 1990s Daily Mirror interview, she claimed Freddie tried to throttle her in a trance, while she was asleep. The only source for it is here, and unfortunately, the photos of the real article have expired:
http://www.mercury-and-queen.com/barbara_valentin_daily_mirror.htm

Later Valentin retracted this in Lesley Ann Jones' book, but replaced it with tales of them having drug-fueled orgies together. She has also been quoted claiming he tried to drown her, because he was jealous of the man shampooing her, but then later changed her story to say he slapped her, that it was 'wonderful' and like 'a bunch of roses'. All this despite the fact nobody close to Freddie believes they were sexually involved.

Again this is not a primary source, merely someone's transcriptions from a collection of BV articles, but it shows the 'shampooing story' - with the slap instead of the attempted drowning in the previous version(!) and also a fresh claim that he sometimes throttled OTHER people, as well as her, complete with crazy eyes and 'blue' skin LMAO!:
https://www.queenheaven.it/posts/freddie-mercury-e-barbara-valentin-la-loro-vita-insieme

Also Peter Freestone mentions in his second book, 'Freddie Mercury: What He Left Behind' the reason why Freddie temporarily cut Barbara out of his life from '85-'87: she was telling her gossip columnist friend she was getting married to him, among other stories and he was sick of it; he felt he couldn't trust her anymore. People get annoyed with her because kiss-and-tell stories to tabloid hacks after someone's died is disrespectful. Also her stories tend not to fit with other witnesses'. Personally I think she was a narcissistic fantasist, whose mind was addled by drugs.

captainjory

Posted: 12 Feb 18, 23:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reinhold Mack can't stand her also. He often makes comments about the negative impact she had on him in interviews.

Posted: 13 Feb 18, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you All

fullstop user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 18, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1503 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 18, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

captainjory wrote:

Personally I think she was a narcissistic fantasist, whose mind was addled by drugs.

My thoughts exactly

Posted: 13 Feb 18, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Captain. I love Freddie. But to play devils advocate here for a moment , throughout his life he has been surrounded by good people as well as bad. I think he liked the combo of both. I know people hate barbera but she was a part of his life. Close enough to be part of that garden lodge group of personal friends. Whatever she did afterwards is a shame but I also know not to believe tabloid papers. Every interview I’ve ever seen of her, most of them after death was all about the love for him.

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 18, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She was at Garden Lodge when he celebrated his last big birthday in 1990 so there was still some sort of contact at least at that point.

Posted: 13 Feb 18, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes jazz. Besides the tabloid paper posted here, you can’t find anything of barbera bad mouthing him. I’m not saying it didn’t happen but it’s not very well documented

captainjory

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about the interview she did for the Lesley Ann Jones book? That is not a tabloid. Not much of an upgrade to be honest, but it's not from a gossip rag. Also the things Peter Freestone says she did were not from a tabloid.

I said Freddie 'temporarily' cut her from his life from '85-'87, which is why there are would be photos of them together from '87-'90. But she wasn't one of the people he wanted to share his last months with, which she explains herself in an interview in the week following his death (it's on Youtube but it's in German) and she wasn't invited to the funeral. I'd argue she wasn't that significant in his life because their close friendship barely lasted two years before a falling out, then after that, she seemed to be demoted to a casual friend, who occasionally came to stay. She wasn't one of his inner circle and he never discussed having AIDS with her. He didn't even leave her his half of a flat he helped her purchase in his will.

She was basically a female Paul Prenter. I always wonder why people rip into Paul, but not her, when they essentially did the same thing to Freddie (bad influence, going to the press blah blah). At least Paul had a job and function within his management circle. She was just there to party and do coke with. Oh and not call an ambulance when he was ill. Irresponsible heap.

reesefallon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

musicland munich user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bayern - Bavaria
musicland munich
Royalty: 1622 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

captainjory wrote:

But she wasn't one of the people he wanted to share his last months with, which she explains herself in an interview in the week following his death (it's on Youtube but it's in German) and she wasn't invited to the funeral.

I ´ve translated that bit here

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1442204/barbara-valentin-interview-11-29-91-translation-german-tv.aspx

And you know how QUEEN fans do best - A YT user already ripped me off :)

Munich - Cocaine and low taxes !

You can add me on FB - Musicland Munich QZ - don`t miss the QZ !

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for that musicland!! Captainjory- im still reading Peters first book and have to get the other books. Seen some interviews Peter gave of her, I haven’t herd him say anything bad

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 05:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont know if Peter is much better. He is msking a living out of his kissandtell stories about Freddie

kokax user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi RadioDaDa,

Freestone has a chapter on Barbara Valentine ( and Mary Austin ) in his second book :

Evans, David; Freestone, Peter. FREDDIE MERCURY - What He Left Behind: The Story of What Happened after the death of Freddie Mercury (Kindle Locations 1007-1011).
Tusitala Press. Kindle Edition.

(excerpt)
" ...I would like to start by examining two of Freddie’s most significant relationships in greater depth to try and shed some light on WHY he liked certain people and WHAT was important to him about a friend’s character and personality. I refer to his life with two women friends, Barbara Valentin and Mary Austin.

....Barbara made Freddie feel instantly at home, never a stranger in this strange city in the same way that James Arthurs and Tony King did in New York......."

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kokax- I will for sure order this book and read it once im done with the first. Runner- I have to respectfully disagree with you about Peter, even though alot of people feel the same way you do. Were talking about a man who devoted a chunk of his life to Freddie. Yes it was a job and he was paid for it, But a job like that i feel can not be done unless your totally dedicated to that person, especially someone like Freddie. . Today, yes Peter is out there and im sure continues to make his living talking Freddie business but the crazy thing is there is still a demand to hear about him. This forum, the Montroux experience , even direct contact to Freddies friends, its all still relevant and wanted. I messaged Peter 5 times and asked questions. He responded to 3 of them. I wasnt expecting him to respond 1 time. The guy cares. Comparing him to anyone who negatively affected Freddies life i think is a pretty bad comparison.

captainjory

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter didn't do a kiss and tell. I've never read him claiming to have had sex with Freddie, unlike Barbara, Runner_70...