Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The fair feller's master-stroke (help needed)

forum rss feed
Author

John Lemon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 May 18, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone!
I'll soon have to give an oral presentation in one of my University classes. My topic is the comparison of the song the fairy feller's master-stroke and the painting of the same title.
Sadly, I only have 2 books about Queen and in none of them, the song gets mentioned and I can't afford buying all books about Queen just to see if they contain some information for me.
If you have any books about Queen which contain some information about the song, could you please send send me pictures of the pages of the books in which the song gets mentioned either here on the thread or via pm.
Thank you in advance!

Nick Browning user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nick Browning
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 15 May 18, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fuck off

Posted: 15 May 18, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck off yourself if you just came here to tell me to fuck off. I hope the other answers will be a bit more serious since I asked a serious question.

Nick Browning user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nick Browning
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 15 May 18, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Lemon wrote:

Fuck off yourself if you just came here to tell me to fuck off. I hope the other answers will be a bit more serious since I asked a serious question.

go fuck yourself, and do the university work yourself

Posted: 15 May 18, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't say I wanted somebody else to do my work. All I asked for is some sources from which I could take information. Since it's obvious that you don't want to help, I suggest you just ignore this thread. Goodbye!

MemeOverlord69 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 15 May 18, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gotta side with Nick here. After you baited us with the Lund recording, kindly fuck off.

OhioMustapha user not visiting Queenzone.com
OhioMustapha
Bohemian: 165 posts

Posted: 15 May 18, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

heres some information

Mercury was inspired to write "The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke" after seeing Richard Dadd's painting The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke. For the intricately arranged studio recording, Mercury played harpsichord as well as piano, and Roy Thomas Baker played the castanets. Taylor called this song Queen's "biggest stereo experiment", referring to the intricate use of panning in the mix.

The song, like most of the songs on the album, features medieval fantasy-based lyrics, and makes direct reference to the painting's characters as detailed in Dadd's poem, such as Queen Mab, Waggoner Will, the Tatterdemalion, and others. Apparently whenever Queen had spare time, Mercury would drag them to the London's Tate Gallery, where the painting was, and still is today.

The complex arrangements are based around a backing track of piano, bass guitar and drums, but also included harpsichord, multiple vocal overdubs and overdubbed guitar parts. The lyrics follow the claustrophobic atmosphere of the painting, and each of the scenes are described. The use of the word "quaere" in the lyrics (in the repeated line "What a quaere fellow") has no reference to Mercury's sexuality, according to Taylor.

The song was performed only a few times during the Queen II Tour. There was thought to be no recording of the song live until 2014, when it was released on Live at the Rainbow '74.

blueroom user not visiting Queenzone.com
blueroom
Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ copy-pasted from wikipedia

OhioMustapha user not visiting Queenzone.com
OhioMustapha
Bohemian: 165 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah

Posted: 16 May 18, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the effort but I've already read the wikipedia article about the song and as you might know, Wikipedia is not the kind of source that one should trust completely and it shouldn't be the main source. Does anyone have any books where the song gets mentioned?

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 4000 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, you are doing a University talk on something you know nothing about and cannot find research sources for. Bizarre.

Posted: 16 May 18, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do know stuff about the subject but I have to support my claims with sources and there are other sources that I've found that are helpful for me. The only thing I'm asking for is additional sources.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10317 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll soon have to give an oral

Good for you, congratulations

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol there are probably many people here who enjoy giving an oral if they're honest :D
But seriously, would you guys be more willing to help if I gave the first person to provide me with some helpful information a reward?

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6464 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Lemon wrote:

I do know stuff about the subject but I have to support my claims with sources and there are other sources that I've found that are helpful for me. The only thing I'm asking for is additional sources.

If you decide your position first, and then look for sources to back it up, then you do not belong in university.

And you've done yourself no favors with your Lund wind-up.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't decide my position before looking for sources. all I meant is that I can't for example include the fact that Roger said that the word "quaere" is no referrence to Freddie's sexuality if I can't find any other source than wikipedia about it. I'm currently searching for interviews where thesong gets mentioned and I'm willing to invest time on my research. But I just can't invest 100€ to buy all books about queen which might contain some information about the song.

Chopin1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chopin1995
Bohemian: 442 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh dear...

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6464 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok here's a hint - start by using Google Books and, especially, https://books.google.com/talktobooks/ (yes, this is a serious hint in case you're unable to tell the difference between serious hints and snarky jabs)

And no, we would not be more helpful if you offered a reward - we would be more helpful if you showed a little decency and didn't go around creating wind-ups like your little Lund-escapade. Because respect is a two-way street.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 16 May 18, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, I'll see if I can find something there.
BTW I didn't mean money with the reward but either Queen posters, some fan articles of other artists or if I think that someone here who deserves it - I got a surprise (which is Queen related). The surprise would be a recording of a show that has been on qz for quite a few years but I have the CD of it and it would be nice for sollectors.

The Ghost of Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's this wonderful thing called a library. I suggest you check one out. (Ha! See what I did there?)