Forums > Queen - General Discussion > To Roger, is he a drumming purist or was it just a job

forum rss feed
Author

fras444 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of I'm not in to drumming.

The key part in this topic is.

As per say
Did Roger set out to be a drummer in the way that, I guess Bonham did ( did he set out to be the best drummer on the planet) or was it more "I'm good at it and it will get me in a band"
With most drummers in big bands which drums are the only instrument they know how to play. He must be a very select few that plays other instruments and does so, very well (Dave Grohl the only other that comes to my head) to actually be able to write songs with other instruments while being the band's drummer and like Dave. When he formed his own band he wasn't the drummer.

And the other key question that links into this regarding Roger as being a drum lover/purist say it how you like.....

Does or did he ever do any good rig rundowns in magazines or in video, did he ever explain his technique his fav drum kit etc in the way that Brian does with his guitar and other guitars he has played.
Did he ever do any tutorials.
Or was drums just a job a trade and he was just not into the drums outside of Queen in they way Brian was regarding guitar

Just an addon out of curiosity
Do drummers keep one kit/have a pride and joy drum kit in away that some guitarists do or do they just chop and changeas years go on.
Did Roger ever keep or have a special drum kit he liked as with my previous topic are there any old Roger drumkits that are floating around or have been snapped up by Queen fans who are into drumming?

RobbyBloodshed user not visiting Queenzone.com
RobbyBloodshed
Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger talks about his techniques here:
https://youtu.be/j-qeq691--w

Here as well:
https://youtu.be/-gK0CjS8WAE

Here he sampled his drum tones in the Grange mansion for others to use into their drum sounds, brilliant program - I love it.
https://youtu.be/btk7FTobl5k

Cruella de Vil user is on Queenzone.com
Cruella de Vil
Bohemian: 380 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger is a musician whose role in the most bands he has played in was a drummer. To this end he could exert himself and be quite flashy and dexterous when it was called for or lay down a simple but sold beat and leave it at that. For him the song dictated the drumming approach. I don’t think he would see himself as a drum purist.

Cruella de Vil user is on Queenzone.com
Cruella de Vil
Bohemian: 380 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger is a musician whose role in the most bands he has played in was a drummer. To this end he could exert himself and be quite flashy and dexterous when it was called for or lay down a simple but sold beat and leave it at that. For him the song dictated the drumming approach. I don’t think he would see himself as a drum purist.

oligneisti user not visiting Queenzone.com
oligneisti
Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My understanding is that he is the drummer in a rock n' roll band.

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1580 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What kind of drummer he is or was? Do you really think he ever cared about that? Roger is a rockstar.
Clever one. Freddie died from it, Brian couldn't handle it, John got depressed from it.

Of course I don't know Roger, but I think it's safe to say he doesn't have any big filosophies about the kind of drummer he is or was.
He Liked music, liked being in a band. Took the risk of pushing it as a career, made it big. Lived the life and survived. That's all there is to say about it.

Bless him.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2675 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 19, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger started out as a guitarist I believe but soon found that he was far better as a drummer.
However if you ask him he wil clearly tell you that he considers himself to be a musician, much like he calls Freddie a musician not just a singer or entertainer

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"