Forums > Queen - General Discussion > New Documentary ‘The Greatest Showman’ to air on Channel 5

forum rss feed
Author

Chinwonder2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chinwonder2
Royalty: 1567 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jul 19, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone, yesterday Jim Jenkins announced on the Official International Queen Fam Group on Facebook that a new documentary called ‘The Greatest Showman’ will air on Friday 26th July on Channel 5 at 10:00pm (UK).

Let’s hope this is a better attempt than the atrocity which was the previous documentary they aired.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/3093335789/permalink/10162300014260790/

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

-Chin

Check out my channel for various goodies! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chinwonder2
mariah carey user not visiting Queenzone.com
mariah carey
Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 19, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope this doc uses better sources than that Liar Ann Jones book.

stevelondon20 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1264 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 19, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will be watching

SpaceGrey user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 19, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if in the new documentary won't be unseen footage

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3623 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 19, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do wonder if this is a new, officially sanctioned documentary, or just a showing of one of those old DVDs produced by outside companies interviewing Paul Gambaccini and Wayne Sleep et al (there was one with that title). If it is official I'm surprised they licensed CH5 to show it after their last effort which the band (rightfully) distanced themselves from.

SpaceGrey user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 19, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

I do wonder if this is a new, officially sanctioned documentary, or just a showing of one of those old DVDs produced by outside companies interviewing Paul Gambaccini and Wayne Sleep et al (there was one with that title). If it is official I'm surprised they licensed CH5 to show it after their last effort which the band (rightfully) distanced themselves from.

I can say only one thing, wait and see.

rhapsody8 user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhapsody8
Bohemian: 808 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 19, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hope it's not this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07HGBRDPZ?SubscriptionId=1BW5SQWXHT1FXDBZGW02&tag=bestbook-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953

Get your head down baby - we're gonna ride tonight...
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3623 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 19, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I’ve just seen a trailer on Ch5....

It brought up a timeline of Freddie through the ages with different specific years on screen (74, 78, 82 and 85 were the ones I caught) with pics of Freddie supposedly from each of those years...whilst I wasn’t paying full attention, apart from 74 they all seemed to be wrong (eg a Magic Tour pic for 85, a Works tour pic for 82 etc).

Based on that I’m expecting this programme to be light on accuracy....

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 4937 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 19, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm waiting for the Channel 5 doc about The Greatest Showman film that's called 'The Freddie Mercury Story'

I think I just went reverse-meta.

mariah carey

Posted: 25 Jul 19, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already have a bad feeling about this documentary, if they can't even get simple things right

dysan

Posted: 25 Jul 19, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably used the officially approved movie for reference.

Mark_Glasgow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mark_Glasgow
Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 26 Jul 19, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First 10 minites seems ok....no Paul Gambaccini and people who actually knew him. May be some finer details that are incorrect, but its only a bloody documentary lol

dysan

Posted: 26 Jul 19, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it being shown in Scotland? I thought you might get OU repeats.

Mark_Glasgow

Posted: 26 Jul 19, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha we even had a little sun this week, only reached 32 degrees but in Scotland anything over 18 and its taps aff lol

dysan

Posted: 26 Jul 19, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

haha good lad :D

dysan

Posted: 26 Jul 19, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm watching it on plus 1. It's fucking shit.

Nice to see Peter Straker involved, but once again Steve Norman ruins everything he touches.

Mark_Glasgow

Posted: 26 Jul 19, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess its hard to make a new documentary at this point with anything new in it. Plus its aimed at the casual viewer rather than some of a rabid fans on here :D

mariah carey

Posted: 27 Jul 19, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How was it?

dysan

Posted: 27 Jul 19, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Similar in many ways to one of those unofficial DVD documentaries you can pick up for £1 in petrol stations.

21st Century Music Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
21st Century Music Fan
Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 19, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not a bad documentary at all, it's got facts on key events. It's got Queen music throughout which makes a big difference in these unofficial and cheap documentaries. It's got most of the key events involved - it's a chronological documentary going from birth to today's legacy. And throughout, they've got 13 segments littered throughout the hour and a half where they would include a key moment (e.g. Freddie going to boarding school in India, Queen getting their big break with SSOR on TOTP and Queen's controversial concerts in Sun City). In fact, it's one of the best unofficial documentaries I've seen. It's quite interesting too because they had people that I've never seen or even heard before who were friends of Freddie's in the 1960s. Also, they had Ratty and Tim Staffell interviewed in there too. Also, they had interviews clips of Brian and Roger speaking... but taken from the Days of Our Lives documentary.

It was mostly chronological but there were some things moved about by three or four years (not to the same extent as the Queen biopic). I think the worst one they did was after AOBTD, they talked about the IWTBF video and how they lost America. They had mentioned how they were the biggest band on the planet for that moment and how they lost America with that video. And the thing which linked on from this item is how Queen conquered new audiences throughout the world and then they talked about playing South America for the first time. I know it's a wrong order but it does seem like Channel 5 have made it seem more positive by moving events, there's something positive after the negative. Which in reality there was, just not as quickly as in real life.

If you get the chance to watch it I would. It's mostly new people speaking but nearly everything said is correct (I don't think I saw anything which made me think for a moment that's false).

Also, if you want to find out who took photographs and who filmed/directed videos then watch the documentary because every time a media form appeared on screen, it stated thorough information about it.

Go to Tenby, Wales